Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Friday 9 January 2015

Things with Wings - You can never have enough butterflies


"Things with Wings" is the title of this month's Clarity Stamp Challenge for January.  I had several ideas but I am going with this one, which I did this morning in the class down at my local Craft Shop - Pink Tulip Creations at Studley.

This was my version of the class card, but I used all Clarity products as you can see.
Ingredients
Gelli Card
Distress ink pads - Scattered Straw, Wild Honey, Faded Jeans and Broken China
Stencil - Sam's Eggs
Black Versafine
Clarity Stamps - Small butterfly,  Small Allium Head, Long Grass, and the Butterfly verse
Distress markers - same colours as the ink pads
 Clarity Stencil Brushes
Quickie Glue pen and Glamourdust

The inking of the card started from the centre with the lightest colour and gradually working to the edge where it was the darkest.  I used Sam's Eggs (really loved using them, Sam Crowe) to give the texture feel in the centre, both in the yellow centre and more lightly on the blue, always brushing from left to right.

Then, using Versafine, I stamped the verse (love this one and so apt) and the little Allium heads, first and second generation ink, and the tops of the Tall Grasses around the edge.

The butterflies are actually stamped on separate card (I used those little Gelli centre cards - I love those), coloured in and cut out.  This was where I was not too sure that I had picked the best butterfly (many of you know how much I love cutting out and this is really quite tight at the bottom of the wings).  The original design used just two colours, more as a wash over the butterflies, but I gave myself a bit more work by going in to all the little areas with the Distress pens.

The main topper was then mounted onto white card and the butterflies mounted on top of that.  I bent the butterflies before sticking them to give them some shape and movement and then added a little Glamourdust to highlight them.

I have not used Versafine very much until today but I was impressed how well the combination of that with the Clarity stamps worked.

Apart from the cutting out, I really enjoyed myself.  I love blending ink and stenciling and colouring in.  I could sit and colour in all day quite happily.  I need to play more with the Distress pens to sort out blending one into another.  More time needed, as always.

PS Can anyone find the bit I forgot until it was too late?  No prize, just satisfaction, sorry.

PPS  I am also entering this card in the challenge over at  craftingforallseasons.blogspot, where the challenge at the moment is "Things with wings"

29 comments:

Gill in Worcestershire said...

Lovely card Maggie. Nice use of stencil too. Gill x

Gill in Worcestershire said...

Nice Card, Maggie. Love the stencilled part in the centre. Gill x

Linda Page said...

what a lovely card Margaret those butterflies are gorgeous that added bit of sparkle the addition of Sams eggs to the background together with the colour you have used brings it all together. Thanks for entering and good luck xx

Jane said...

This looks fabulous Maggie! Beautiful colours! X

Unknown said...

Oh Maggie this is fabulous. Love Sam's eggs in the background and the stamping round the edge - just perfect. Xx

Shelagh Metselaar said...

Lovely composition and colour combinations, Maggie. Wasn't aware of this stencil, must order it! Thank you for entering the challenge and good luck.;~}

carols handmade cards said...

This is a lovely card it's so pretty. Good luck in the challenge. Xx

Shelagh Metselaar said...

Lovely composition and colour choice, Maggie. Wasn't aware of the stencil, must order it! Thank you for entering the challenge and good luck.;~}

Angela said...

Maggie this is a lovely card. The butterflies look great even if you didn't enjoy cutting them out! Thanks for entering the challenge. Good luck. x

Unknown said...

That's pretty live it xx

crafty said...

I love your card the colours your composition fantastic good luck in Clarity challenge

crafty said...

Love your card good composition the colours are great good luck in the Clarity challengec

crafty said...

Love your card good composition love the colours good luck in Clarity challenge

Mrs A. said...

Gorgeous, gorgeous card. I love everything about it. The background eggs design is fab. The shading perfect. Hugs Mrs A.

Theresa said...

lovely composition Maggie. gorgeous colour choices. are you referring to the fact that you drew antennae on your flutterbies? hugs xx

Mrs P said...

This whisks me away to a warm summers day - it's wonderful. Good luck in the Challenge x

Mrs P said...

This whisks me off to a warm summer's day - beautiful! Good luck in the challenge x

Emma Burns said...

Hello Maggie, what a lovely piece of artwork in this card. Flying the flag for Clarity!! I love the collection of Clarity stamps combined with Sam's Eggs. Thank you for entering the Clarity Challenge and Wishing you the best of luck. X

Amanda Openshaw said...

I really love this card, it's so pretty. The butterflies are lovely. Great blogging too! Good luck in the challenge .

Amanda xxx

Naomi said...

Margaret what a beautiful card, wonderful colours on the butterfly and great dimension in the background. Delighted you have decided to be part of this months Challenge. Good luck.

Amanda Openshaw said...

fab card Maggie, i love the colours you have used, really pretty. Good luck in the challenge.

hugs
Amanda x

Unknown said...

What a beautiful card Maggie. I particularly love this butterfly as it was the first Clarity stamp I ever bought. Thanks for entering and supporting the challenge. Xxx

Hettie said...

This is beautiful Maggie. So delicate and fresh looking. Well done.
Hugs
xx

Lesley said...

A very pretty card Maggie. I love your 3D butterflies. Good luck in the challenge. x

cotnob said...

This is a gorgeous card, your butterflies are beautiful.
Thank you for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
Pauline
x
I have candy on my blog if you would like to take a look - http://craftingwithcotnob.blogspot.co.uk/

Naomi said...

Congratulations Maggie on your top 5 in the Clarity Blog Challenge, don't forget to pick up your badge.

Emma Burns said...

Congratulations on making the Top 5 at the Clarity Stamp Challenge with your lovely composition Margaret. Well Done Girl!! xxx

flossbite said...

Fabulous creation. Thanks so much for joining us at Crafting for all Seasons.
Hugs
Fiona DT x

Amanda Openshaw said...

Well done on the top five Maggie! Well deserved xx
Hugs
Amanda xx