Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Monday 2 January 2012

Spanish Newborns

This is the front of the card I have been doing for the little Spanish twins, born on New Year's Eve.  For once, things have gone together very smoothly, with no nasty creases from sticking the toppers down.  I will not gloat too much yet, as I still need to stick the insert sheet in place, straight across the inside.

The main design is from Joanna Sheen's "Baby Love" cd.  I took it from the disc, using the snapshot too, and put it into My Craft Studio.  Then I copied it and pasted it so I had two (one for each baby), flipped the second one so I had mirror images.  The backing card is a very soft blue/grey, and I joined two pieces together, and then folded it so it just fitted (with a little border) the toppers.  the whole thing opens in the centre as you can probably see.
I felt that the toppers looked a little unfinished, so I ran the Quickie glue pen down the edges, allowed it to dry off, then sprinkled it with Martha Stewart silver glitter, rubbed it into place gently with my finger, before brushing the excess away with a soft paintbrush.  A few small gems gave the flower centres.

As the card is for Spanish twins, I thought I should make the effort to do the writing in Spanish, so off I went to Google Translate.  I hope it worked properly and makes sens to them, but anyway, I did try.  By lining up the two toppers in My Craft Studio, I was able to match up the names and dates on the front perfectly, and print them out on the toppers, all at the same time. 

The flat insert sheet was also from "Baby Love", with a lot of help from Google Translate, and was just an A4 protrait insert with all the writing removed, and my own writing inserted right in the middle using MSC again.

We are now looking forward to seeing  pictures of the two babies and maybe even on Skype.  The family made us all so welcome when we went over there, that we really feel  as though they are true family.

I am also taking the opportunity to enter this card into New Beginnings Challenge on the http://allsortschallenge.blogspot.com/.

4 comments:

Anne said...

Love the card Maggie. Have been reading about you and we sound similar though I'm sure you are a lot more creative than me. I tend to try different crafts as and when mood takes me. Have done knitting today. I have two married sons and grandchildren to play with. Wanted to wish you a Happy New Year and thankyou for visiting my blog. Anne x

Di said...

Oh Maggie - this is totally adorable!! I just bet it will be really treasured and you've put a lot of thought and hard work into it. Beautiful! Di xx

brenda said...

A really dealightful card for the new bown twins Maggie.

Thank you so much for sharing with us at Allsorts this week, good luck and wishing you a Happy New Year.

B x

An Occasional Genius said...

Hi Maggie, thanks for popping by my blog, it's been a pleasure to pop back & see your creations & I enjoyed reading your profile, could have been me writing lol! I always struggle with space to craft!

This card is beautiful, I'm impressed at all the effort you've put in. I bet they love it, hope you get to see the little ones soon.

I'm your newest follower by the way x