Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 30 November 2011

WOYWW - 130 - Cameos. Cards, Cakes and Christmas Stockings

No. not this kind of Cameos, but I do like them.  Two of them came from trips to Italy and were bought from the factory shop near Naples.  the third one is just a very cheap scarf ring.  My favourite is the dark cameo, just my preference.

Anyway, this is supposed to be about our workdesks, so I had better get back on theme.  The Cameo I really meant to show you is my new baby, the new Silhouette Cameo.  I still have not had a lot of time to play with it to get  the best from it.  My biggest problem is to convert gsm to the American version of lbs.  I have now found a fairly good conversion chart so I might have more success.  Sorry about the rotten photos, it is rather on the dark side, but then we are heading to winter gloom.  I did use it to create a couple of borders for card toppers, as you can see from this one.

The image is from a MCS disc, treated in the same stained glass method of last weeks cards..  The border was cut from green mirri card on the Silhouette, and then I added a bit more bling with the stones.  It is all matted on to white pearlescent card.

You might notice from the next picture that I am really into the elbow it out of the way method of working at the moment.  This lot is mostly to do with Christmas and all the stuff I need to get rid of this year so I can start fresh next time.

Following the order in the title, these are the the cakes I made today - not too difficult.  It is Fridge Cake, very sticky, very fattening and very tasty.  We have visitors tonight who happen to love this, hence the choice for today.  I have been seriously into baking lately, having got fed up of buying "plastic" bread that goes mouldy before we can eat it.  I would rather make a small loaf twice a week and use it all, and enjoy the flavour and the texture.  It is ages since I did much baking, so most of my cake tins are fairly manky, and have had to be replaced.  At least the cakes and bread comes out of the tin easily now.  I was concerned that we would eat more of fresh things, but we don't seem to be, just enjoying what we do eat rather more.


The last "C" on my list is the Christmas stockings.  I showed you those  recently, but now I have done some of the small ones too.  I still have quite a lot of wool left, so there will be more stockings made before I finish.

I am off now to visit a few more desks, hosted by the Queen of the workdesk, Julia.  Why don't you come and and join me over there and see what all those talented people are doing and talking about.?  I did not blog at all last week, nor manage to visit anyone else.  I hope to do better this week, and I will definitely visit anyone who leaves me a comment.  Have fun out there.

18 comments:

jude said...

Gosh they look delicious would love the receipe love anything sticky my dad would die for that he's very sweet tooth and just fridge no oven even better.Yes i used to do alot of homebaking not so much now as cant stand for too long but my eldest who's coming up to 15 loves to bake so i sit back and taste!lolbest way!
Have fab wednesday and creative festive week ahead!
hugs judex 9

Anonymous said...

What a great desk and the cameo's are lovely. Your fridge cake looks mouth watering your guests will love it. I also want to use up all my crimbo stash and start fresh next year. Have a great Wednesday. Laura

Sunshine Girl said...

Lovely post today! I dont have a silhouette but I do have the original craft robo - he doesnt come out of his box very often but I love it when he does! Enjoy the cake - it looks yummy. Thanks for sharing. Sunshine Girl – No 4

Inkypinkycraft said...

My eyes were drawn to the fridge cake...yummy happy woyww trace x 20

Linda Simpson said...

Wow Maggie, your desk is a bit like mine when I am in the midst of crafting. Cameo looks fab and so glad you are getting to grips with it.

Hugs
Linda xxx

Deb said...

love your swanky new machine, what a treat, looking forward to seeing what else it can do! I have seen some amazing advent calendars using it! your cake looks so delish, wish I had some with my coffee!
happy WOYWW! Debxx #92

Anonymous said...

A very mixed bag today Maggie, not sure what I like the best to be honest! I think you're very good getting rid of your old stash before buying more..... don't think I've ever done that!!

hugs
Brenda 78

Helen said...

Not seen the cameo before - enjoy!
LOVE the lookof the fridge cake - haven't make chocolate fridge cake for ages... now I want some!!

Lunch Lady Jan said...

I so agree about having less of better quality food. Funnily enough, I've just bought DH a bread maker for his birthday (he did ask for it!) so we can make proper bread rather than cotton wool! And that fridge cake looks lush, mmmm, chocolate...
Love the stockings too, so cute!
Hugs, LLJ #39 xx

Craftin Suzie (Susan Wykes) said...

Your new toy looks interesting I am sure you will have loads of fun playing x

Neil said...

Hi there and thanks for the peek into your creative zone. It looks like there is loads going on so thanks for sharing. Hope you have a brilliant week and have plenty of creative time! Save me a piece of fridge cake, it looks delicious! Enjoy your new toy too!
Neil #24

okienurse said...

Congrats on your new toy! I want one but I have a Cricut and a lot of cartridges so can't justify it! The cake looks so yummy! Thanks for sharing and hope you have a great week! Vickie #67

sandra de said...

What a great looking new toy. But definitely not as sweet as the chocolate treat. Thanks for posting the recipe.

Bleubeard and Elizabeth said...

What a LOT of projects you have going on this week. I am in awe. Especially like the Cameos (all of them). I take it, the Cameo is a new die cutting machine. How lucky for you. Happy belated WOYWW from #6 now.

Shoshi said...

How exciting, a new cutting machine! This afternoon I put down the deposit on a Black Cat Cougar as my grasshopper insect cutter has left me more than disappointed esp. recently - it just isn't up to the job of what I want it to do. Can't wait for my new baby to arrive!!! Those cakes look gorgeous... I could eat loads of stuff like that and have to be sooo careful not to put on weight! Your desk looks chaotically busy, which is how it should be lol! Happy WOYWW, Shoshi #62

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, it's so frustrating having a new machine and not having the time to get to grips with it, hopefully you will find a bit more time after Christmas. I saw a conversion table for gsm/lbs somewhere recently - now where was it? - if I remember I'll scan it for you. Your fridge cake looks yummy - a lovely way of using up the crushed and broken biscuits at the bottom of the tin I think and my DH is would love it if I indulged him so thanks for the recipe in the next post. Elizabeth x #111

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Hi there Maggie time is very hort here at present, sorry am late - but do love this very busy post thanks for sharing about your cameo machine and love the first three too - machine looks amazing as does you chocky cake -mmm, feel chocolate craving coming on! and so agree with what you say about qualit althoguh we are so spoilt over here with qulaity - have you bredmakers over there? my dad and his wife use them all the time..love Shaz in oz.x

Shoshi said...

Maggie, thank you so much for your lovely comments on my blog, especially about my uncle. He will be so missed by us all! I still can't believe he's gone - it's the passing of an era.