Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 26 October 2011

WOYWW - 125 OK, I know Christmas is coming - fast!!

It is that time of the week again, the first of the two Wednesdays in this week (there must be two or the time is flashing by even faster than I thought). so it is time to bare all - well, not all, but our desks in all their glory.  What is on my desk this week is rather a lot of stuff.  We went over to Webbs of Wychbold last week and, of course, it would have been rude not to wander round Hobbycraft, and even more rude not to buy something.  So you can see a couple of packets of white flowers with gems on, ready to colour in, and a little storage box with coloured and textured flowers.  They are on the left.  On the right you can see some of my Silhouette pens, which I have been using a lot to draw some of my cards.  In the middle you can see a pile of recycled toppers from previous cards, ready to use in some way.  On the far left you can see one of my Really Useful Christmas boxes, full of stuff, decoupage, peeloffs etc.

 I have finally given in to the Christmas rush.  I got the two really useful boxes out at the end of last week and had a good sort through.  I had a bag of recycled toppers from previous year's cards, all shop bought.  A couple have been turned straight into new cards by cutting them and folding them.  As you can see, they are both robin pictures with out of focus backgrounds.  I found the centre on each side, and cut the top half of the robin with my trusty finger blade (Fiskars) and then folded the card at that point, so that it will stand up.  I still have to work out how to do the inserts, which will help to strengthen the finished card.

I have also had the Silhouette out again with the pens, rather than the blade.  The tree design is one I bought from the Silhouette site.  I used the coppery Silhouette pen to draw both the tree and the Happy Christmas, the filled in the design with Sakura glitter pen, then dug out all my gems to decorate the trees.  I am quite pleased with them, they are simple in style but still have that glitter we all want at Christmas.

I have just added the new Silhouette Cameo to my Christmas list - it looks awesome and is bigger than the previous machines, and will take 12x12 papers/card.  I prefer the Silhouette to the idea of the Cricut, as you can use it to create your own designs and you are not limited to buying expensive cartridges.  The software is continually updated to supply what we as crafters want.


I have used some of the toppers I recycled from previous year's cards, and added a bit of a twist to them with peel offs.  I am determined to use more of what is in those boxes this year - I need the space for other things.

If you managed to get all the way down here, thank you for visiting me.  Please leave a comment. I really do value your opinions.  I would also be grateful if you would visit a friend of mine, Debbie, who is just starting to get her blog up and running.  She would love to hear from you all, although there may be a problem with her being able to leave you comments - we have not sorted that bit out properly yet..   You will find her at  http://acrafterslife.blogspot.com/
When you have done that, it is time to head over to http://stamping-ground.blogspot.com/ Julia's blog where you will find loads of other desks to wander round.   Have fun.

54 comments:

Shaz in Oz.CalligraphyCards said...

Hi there Maggie well you have been having fun the shopping spree was very profitable (you have such different things over there) and love the robin cards too - and have no idea what a silhouette machine is but love the card very much, happy WOYWW (yes think there are two in a week surely seems like it!) Shaz in Oz.x

Polly Polkadot said...

I find myself buying stuff on the grounds of being polite too. Lots of ideas (and results) going on with you off to visit your friend.

Di said...

Hi Maggie - good for you, recycling to make space fpr new stash :)) Love the cards you've made. Off to see Debbie now - just a thought, has she tried UNticking the 'Remember me' box when she logs onto Blogger? That seems to be the root cause of a lot of problems when trying to comment - I know, it seems right to keep it ticked!! Who are we do question the why and wherefores of Mr Blogger! :( Happy WOYWW Maggie! Di xx

Helen said...

great cards, well done - not even started mine yet (hardly surprising, I know, given the circumstances!) but soon.... soon.!

Sunshine Girl said...

Love all of your cards - well done on getting started with Christmas! (can you tell I havent yet!!) have a great week.

Lunch Lady Jan said...

You drew those Christmas trees - they're amazing! Anything with shimmer and sparkles on is a winner in my opinion!! I've bought fabric out of politeness too, lol, it's a great excuse :D Thanks for the lovely comment on my blog :D
Hugs, LLJ #43 xx

Rainbow Lady said...

Great cards Maggie love them. Thanks for letting me know my picture was not showing.. have posted again so will hope for the best. Love Cynthia x

Twiglet said...

Love the cards - robins are my favourite! xJo

Marjo said...

Hi Maggie,

Way to up-cyle! I know the weeks are just shooting by way to fast..so much to do and not enough time. I think the next time I buy more crafting "stuff" I will use that same excuse about not wanting to be rude...

Not sure if that will fly with my DH...LOL Thanks for the peek and sharing, have a great WOYWW

xoxo Marjo

Linda Simpson said...

Some fabulous cards there Maggie, and your desk looks tidier than mine is at the moment. TFS

Hugs
Linda xxx

Robin Panzer Art said...

Wonderful Cards, of course I'm partial to the Robin...LOL! Christmas is creeping up fast this year, can't you just feel it! Happy WOYWW!

Anonymous said...

Great cards - especially love the christmas trees - thank you for sharing

Bea

sarahp said...

A very busy lady you are .xxx
Love the countdown and the pretty cats.
The cards look lovely and its about time I got stuck into mine xx Thanks for sharing xx

Shoshi said...

Nice cards! Thanks for your comment on my blog. Happy WOYWW, Shoshi #85

Hettie said...

Well done for "coming out" about using recycled toppers from b b b b bought cards! I find it hard to say the b word!!
I too fancy the new Cameo but I could not bear to make my Baby redundant! Love that tree design - will have to look for it!
Have you made your cheese scones yet! Like the idea of mustard/paprika in them. Will def try that next time!

Belinda Basson said...

I have one of the original silhouettes and rather like it cos it can cut whatever I create in Corel Draw. I would love to upgrade to the one that cuts a 12 x 12 page...always something on my wish list!

Anonymous said...

Just love those recycled Christmas cards, I save loads every year and have yet to do anything with them!! It's too easy to reach for your new favourite stuff isn't it? Off to visit Debbie now! have a great rest of the week.

Hugs
Brenda 84

Shoshi said...

Great cards! You certainly are getting on with things in good time! Thanks for your comment on my blog.

Rainbow Lady said...

Thanks for your second message Maggie telling me you can now see my picture xx

Unknown said...

Your cards are beautiful! You must have a lot of patience to cut around the birds, but it adds so much. I like the trees also. Would like to have been sitting beside you for that one.

Crafting Time said...

You have some lovely Cards there Maggie well done, haven't started mine yet!
Have a lovely crafty week ahead.
Nina x
Check out Design Team call on our blog

SueH said...

Seeing your Robin cards has reminded me of the little Robin I was watching in my garden this morning. He was such cheeky chappies and not at all frightened because when I went out to put some Mill worms on the feeder for him he didn’t budge an inch.

I often recycle parts of card and you’ve done a great job with the bits that you saved from last year.

Happy Crafting!
Sue
x

Angie said...

Love the Tree card ...and hats off to you for recycling ...we are all meant to be being more green. I often cut up old cards to make the following years tags. xx

RosA said...

I love to recycle bought cards which people send too. And I love those Sakura pens. If you are interested in my Houses of History swap, just click on that under the "label" tab and you will bring up lots of posts about them. Thanks for visiting my blog!

Sylvia/LittleTreasures said...

Thanks for stopping by, I've had a hard time leaving comments and even getting to other blogs. Have been truly enjoying some WONDERFUL FALL WEATER here. I like how you have 2 pictures side by side, I can't figure that out yet!!! You've lots of goodies and you are right time is flying by. Enjoy the week.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for all your help Maggie ... wouldn't even have tried again with my blog if not for you! LOVE the Silhouette drawn cards - will certainly be giving that a go.

Anonymous said...

I have a feeling this just might work MaggieC!!!!! Thanks SO much for all your help - my blog would still be lost in cyberspace if it were not for you. LOVE the Silhouette-drawn cards ... will certainly be giving that a go.

Made by Mandy said...

Thankyou for the extra information on the Exmoor ponies. We were wondering why they would be nowhere near Exmoor and also if they were hardy enough to live out there all winter. I didn't realise they were nearly extinct so that makes it even more special. They all had fabulous glossy coats so were clearly thriving. I had also remarked to my husband that all the berries on the holly lower down had gone so I thought they must be eating those.

Your silhouette pens look interesting, not seen them before and well done for recycling old cards. I do the same and have a number of people who give them to me. I take off them what I can and recycle the rest in the waste paper collection so nothing goes to waste.

Have a lovely productive week.

Love Mandy xxx

lisa said...

Cristmas looks like it's in full swing in your house, Maggie. I always have good intentions of recycling my cards from last year but just never seem to get round to it somehow.
Hugs Lisax

Morti said...

Nooooooooo! They can't...can't....CAN'T bring out a bigger and better Silhouette. I only just got mine!!! Sob...... oh well, may have to get a new one and gift mine to Mr B's school or something.... chuckle.....

Thanks for stopping by! Ace work on the robin cards, by the way. I love recycling stuff.

Unknown said...

Very nice cards ...quite lovely indeed

- KAT -

Bridget Larsen said...

Yes it would be rude not to buy something lol. love your pictures, wish I could colour
Bridget #37

sarahp said...

Hiya
Hope you dont mind I lifted a couple of your elemnts for my blog.xxx
At present we have cat chaos as we have 2 siamese and 7 british shorthaired with another 5 kittens besides the cream.... madness...but great fun just puuuuuuurrrfect....did you see what I did there hahahaha xxxxx

Jacqueline said...

Love those Robin pictures. That is just a beautiful wee bird andone of my favourites!

Sadly I can't play my music on my computer, my teenage son blew my speakers listening to Trivium! and I can't afford another set at the moment! Hmph! Teenagers! lol

Take care

Jackie xx

JoZart Designs said...

What a busy elf you've been..... great cards!
JoZarty x

karen said...

Hi Maggie, your are a busy bee this week! I love all your cards! The robins are beautiful and cutting them out and folding them that way is brilliant!
As for my pumpkins, I usually don't make anything with them afterwards as they have been sitting out carved for nearly a week by the time I take them down and have had candles burning in them. But I do roast the pumpkins seeds as soon as I carve them!
Thanks for the visit!
xoxo Karen

Mrs A. said...

Clever idea with the robin toppers. They will look really good made into cards. I thought they were photos you had tsaken yourself at first. Mr robin is already visiting our garden and has claimed the back fence as his territory. Hugs Mrs A.

Lisa-Jane said...

LOL! Hobbycraft is a dangerous place. Things jump into your basket and demand you take them home! Love those robin cards.

l00pyscraftcreations said...

Well Maggie, you have been busy, love the Silhouette, am stopping at thier stall next week to see if the new blades mean more depth for the CR. Glad to see some one else, 1. re-using shop boughts, and 2 . drawing with the Sil, thanks for stopping by hun,

Lou #63

akilli melek said...

recycling is a great idea but all of my bits and bobs are over the water so looks like allmy cards this year will be new stash.
thanks for popping by earlier
caroline #58

Julia Dunnit said...

Marvellous Robin cards Maggie - I don't get nearly as wellas you do with the Fiskars finger cutter....I should practice, methinks.

April said...

Lovely Cards! great ideas for recycling, like what you did with the robin ones. Those xmas trees look great, very stylish! x

Debbie Rock said...

Thanks for your comments on my Christmas card "meagre offerings" ... NO!!!! I didn't cut out all the little leaves - SORRY if I gave that impression. The sheet of paper I used was a circle which I just cut into quarters.

Debbie Rock said...

Well look at me then ... back again and leaving comments all over blog-land!!!! I'm afraid I've asked Sooooo many questions you will wish you'd never heard of me! BUT I still can't thank you enough ... when I think that just over a week ago my blog was lost in cyberspace and now it is up and running! Still needs serious tweaking but I'm getting there and it is all thanks to YOU ... you've been absolutely AmAzInG!!! xXx

Jennibellie said...

Lovely cards Maggie - way to go at the recycling, every project I make has something recycled in it, I just can't bare to throw things away when I can make things with them! Thanks for stopping by my blog & leaving a comment - like everything else technical I'm such an amateur so you thinking my video is professional means a lot, hugs Jennibellie x

Bugged Designs said...

Eeeek, Christmas. It will probably be here in about 2 weeks at the rate time is going these days! Nice cards, thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I LOVE THE ROBINS. GLAD YOU ARE RECYCLING. THANKS FOR STOPPING BY. HAVE A GREAT WEEKEND.

CAROL C

Electra said...

"rude not to buy something"-I like the way you think! Happy late WOYWWED!

Carola Bartz said...

I really love that you re-use last year's Christmas cards. That is a great idea and you are pretty creative with those.

Emma Williams said...

Fabulous set of cards and as always, they're gorgeous!!

I love your Christmas countdown that you've added to your blog but it means that every time I visit, I'll panic that little bit more, knowing the big day is arriving at lightning speed!! lol.

Hope you have a wonderful weekend and thank you for all your lovely words and kind comments ~ they really do mean so very much to me! :)
Love Emma xx

Bellaidea said...

Hi! Thank you so much for your visit and nice comments about my work, have a great weekend!

peggy aplSEEDS said...

yikes, you're making me nervous, with your Christmas cards and countdown!

Karen said...

I love your CHristmas cards, they are stunning - its quite a frightening thought that Christmas is getting so close - I have not even thought about it as yet!!!

I love your Christmas countdown that you have on the top of your blog :)

Have a great weekend. Luv Karen xx

The Crafty Elf said...

I love your post Maggie it's so Christmas!!! My favourite? The trees! All your cards are lovely but the simple elegance just grabs the eye, don't you think? Those little gems really make the card!!!! That's great you are recycling....fantastic job! Have a great week and I'll see you again on the first Tuesday of the week..LOL I think you're right that there is more than one Tuesday in a week. :O