Welcome to my blog

I hope you enjoy reading my posts, and please leave me a comment. I always enjoy reading them, and will try to visit you in return.

For security reasons for me and for you, I would appreciate it if you would leave your name on your comments.

You are welcome to copy any of my designs, as long as you do not take credit for them yourself. I am very happy for you to sell them. If I have used anyone else's design, I always try to give credit where it is due. If I have missed anything, please let me know and I will put things right.


This is intended to be mainly about my crafting stories, as a personal record of what I do. However, I interpret crafting quite widely, not just paper crafting but other things too. I have a butterfly mind and like to change from one thing to another depending on what I feel like on a given day - knitting, crochet, cross-stitch, cards, baking and several others, including my favourite right now, parchment, both traditional skills and Groovi, very relaxing and calming to do.

I have decided to put some structure into my blog so that each day will have something of a theme.
Monday- for Mindfulness; Tuesday - Tidy Up Day; Wednesday - What's on Your Workdesk Wednesday; Thursday - Technique and Tips; Friday - Finish Off Day; Saturday - Start Something New; Sunday - Anything Goes
These themes are not hard and fast and will be changed if I feel the need.

Wednesday 15 June 2011

WOYWW - 106

Before I show you my desk this week, I have one more important thing to do, and that is to publicly thank Becky Horn for my lovely pif.  It arrived on my birthday at the weekend, which was extra good.  So much work and love in it.  Thank you again, Becky.

I had some lovely cards and pressies, not least the complete set (until No 5 is released) of Barbara Gray's DVD's, which I have been coveting for ages and ages.  They came from my very very kind husband, who is so supportive of my crafting.  If you have a look at Silverwolf's blog, you will see the picture of the beautiful card she created for me, and how she did it.

Now to my desk.  Last week, it was so tidy thanks to a hurricane which hit it.  This week is not quite so good, although it is better than it was an hour before.  Some time ago, I started removing all the horrid sticky cushioning from all my unmounted rubber stamps, and finally finished today, thank goodness.  While the last batch were on my desk, I decided to start cataloguing them, by stamping them in sets into an A5 loose leaf file.  By the time, I had finished , my fingers were totally black and covered in Adirondack black ink.  So far, nothing has removed it, despite my best endeavours.  Any ideas?

I also started a "reflections" card, inspired by Barbara Gray.  As you can see, there is still a lot to do to it, but by then I was so inky, I thought I had better leave it alone for today.  You can also see some of the sheets I have started to print for my stamp catalogue.  I might have another go tomorrow, either at the catalogue creation or just playing with pictures and techniques.

I have also had company for most of my working today from our biggest pup, who suddenly realised I had a small bag of dog food on my desk which might be worth keeping an eye on.  He has be partially responsible for me not getting too much crafting done over the last couple of weeks.  We have just found a new trainer, who is teaching us all the things that really suit a working bred dog, tracking, retrieving and general searching.  Flash loves it and really puts all his effort into hunting.  Gemma, on the other hand, is a little blonde about it, easily distracted from the job in hand.  Never mind, she can only improve with work.  Our trainer, Madaleine, is very strict with us, and gives us lots of homework to practice.  I come back from  training class absolutely buzzing with excitement.  It is just great fun, and so rewarding when you finally coordinate all the things you are trying to sort out.  (I need 4 hands to deal with a clicker, a treat, and a lead, and a few more brain cells to allow me to "get it".)  It is not the dogs who are being trained, it is us as handlers.

By the way, are there any others of you out there who think that things have gone too far in the type of clothes being sold for young children, such as padded bras for girls of 5 and upwards, and the way they are being encouraged to be so much older than their years.  I did hear that pop videos are to be given ratings in a similar way to films, to try to protect young children from being exposed to salacious things while they are too young to cope.  My daughter already tries to vet whatever pop videos that her children watch.

Having had a bit of a soap box moment, perhaps you might like to slip over to see a few more desks at Julia's place, which you will find at  http://stamping-ground.blogspot.com/  Thank you to all those who came to visit me this week, and apologies to those I did not get round to visit myself.  Hopefully, I can do better this week.

24 comments:

Spyder said...

Happy Belated Birthday! And what a fab PiF to arrive on the that day too!! The padded bra thing was on the Telly the other day. I can remember just wanting an ordinary one and I was twelve, mother wouldn't buy me one! it was so embarrassing, her friend, a neighbour, bought me one instead!
Happy WOYWW
((Lyn))

Neet said...

I love how Flash is sitting looking so intently at your desk.
Love your Pif that you received - so uch on it and the lightbulb did not break in transit. Thanks for sharing.

Angie said...

What a great pif ...love the post today ...and as for dressing kids too old ...I'm with you. They shout about children and the internet and being groomed and then let their kids go out dressed provocativly. Had a shock seeing a friends two daughters on face book photos ...they both looked like hookers ....aged 7 and 10....why did they put them up ...why did they allow them to pose like it .???? ...or am I just old and jaded.

Angie said...

OOPs forgot .... HAPPY BIRTHDAY xx

Helen said...

lovely pif - so good it arrived on your birthday. I am with you on the soapbox (but why do the parents buy the stuff...) just say no to the little darlings! (can you tell I don't have kids?!)

Andria said...

Happy birthday, Maggie! I'm glad your husband treated you. What a great project in organization you are doing with all of your stamps. Happy WOYWW!

Sarn said...

Belated birthday wishes to you Maggie.

I don't have kids, but I'm with you on the clothes/growing up too quick thing leading to trouble!

HAPPY WOYWW.

Hugs, Sandra Take a peek at MY DESK here

Anonymous said...

Hey Maggie, so if you remove the sticky stuff from your stamps how do they cling to an acrylic block? I have a few unmounted stamps that I've never used and was going to order some easy mount, but is there another way? Love Flash, looks so attentive, and yes, kids these days just don't look like kids do they?

Hugs
Brenda 73

Andria said...

Guess what??!! Your PiF arrived just a couple of hours after I posted my WOYWW this morning! I will give it pride of place in my post next week so the other WOYWWers can see what beautiful things you sent to me! Love it, love it, love it!

shazsilverwolf said...

Hi Marg, great pics as always. We were discussing this kids clothes issue on Saturday, weren't we? I can remember pushing the boundaries as an adolescent/teen( really, I did!) lol, but back in the day, parents put their foot down, said no, and that was the end of it. Wingeing didn't get you your own way, it got you a clip round the ear!
Speak soon, Shaz

Hettie said...

Happy Birthday Maggie!! It seems there are a few of us with birthdays this month including Hels on Monday and mine at the end of this month!! I have a mug that says Geminis are into creative arts but we are a bit fickle and change from one project to another!! Can't quite see that can you????
With you on the dressing kids thing! I don't have them but am quite shocked when I see some other peoples! Gorgeous puppy there! My favourite kind of children!!!
My Pif is on my computer desk so it doesn't get inkey! My tip on the ink on hands is to prevent it by using Soap & Glory handcream before you use the ink. It seems to cause a bit of a barrier and helps it come off afterwards. Too late now but worth thinking about in future.

Šolanje na domu-Waldorf said...

That's an awesome PIF! You lucky lady. :) I know what you mean about doggy school. We're training our dogs as well and have a final exam in 2 weeks time. :) Already nervous about it. Happy WOYWW!

Di said...

Hi Maggie, how gorgeous is Flash!! Stole the show this week :) Can't help with the inky fingers though, sorry, but would take Flash for walkies anytime :) Di xx

Mrs A. said...

Yep. I'm with you children should be dressed like children not mini grown ups. Saw an article the other day on Tom Cruises 5yr old daugther. Totally surreal. Happy belated birthday. Hugs Mrs A. #98

Elizabeth said...

Hi Maggie, belated good wishes for your birthday, sorry to have missed it. Love your pif - particularly like that verse. I discovered how messy that job is when I started cataloguing my stamps too. Barbara Gray recommends good old Imperial Leather soap to remove the ink. What a brilliant birthday present - I have the first DVD and plan to get the others eventually. September 16th is the release date for Number 5 I hear. Flash is gorgeous and clearly knows what he likes. Have a great week, Elizabeth x #79

Elizabeth said...

Oops, forgot to say that I'm totally there with you on your soapbox. I live opposite a school and whilst I see the boys are still dressed in sensible uniforms many of the girls are wearing what my granny would have called a pelmet!!! Little tots in high heels and padded bras - how can they run around and play like children should dressed like that. Elizabeth

okienurse said...

Nice looking work space you have! Great place to get inky fingers. Gorgeous PIF! but Flash is the favorite pic this week. Thanks for sharing! Vickie #46

karen said...

Happy belated Birthday to you!!!!!!
What a lovely PiF gift you received! I love that she used the bingo numbers to commemorate the date!
Flash is adorable! Good to hear that he is taking to his training. High energy dogs usually need to do the activity they were bred for. Is he high energy? I have 2 labs but they do not retrieve, they are quite content to lie on the couch, lol!
Thanks for visiting me earlier!
Happy WOYWW!
Karen

Sarpreet said...

Belated birthday wishes, it is a shame when kids grow out of nice clothes, gorgeous PIF, looks like a very creative busy desk, Happy WOYWW 106, Thank you for sharing your workspace, # 25

Di said...

Hi Maggie, Di again. Just to say thank you for your kind comment about my step-mum. And, I could always buy roller blades to take Flash for walkies :)?? Di x

ShazInOzCardsCalligraphy said...

Happy birthday Maggie for last weekend and also agree with your soapbox stand too sad, I agree, and love your pif, very nice a great saying on it too! still waiting for mine and will be a while as our mail is cut off by floods for a while I am fine here but still damp around here and north and south!! want some rain over there?? love Shaz in oz.x

Maggie's Crafts said...

Great pics and Happy Birthday!

Thank you for sharing and happy WOYWW! :)

Maggie #115
xx

Debs said...

very belated felicitations!
yes you are being trained in dog handling! enjoy xxx

Angela Toucan said...

lovely looking gift.

and enjoy the tennis.